10.26.2009

Kids in the City

I think about my nephews and nieces when I walk through the city. I think they would like it here.

I walked by a travel store today with an antiquated train set in the window. I pictured my nephews getting so excited and rushing p to the window to stare at it. Just the type of thing that make them jump up and down.

I think of them on the subways and imagine trying to explain the train that goes underground and takes you anywhere you need. They’d get it because they’re imaginative. And they would love it. They might get a little scared on their first trip, it is a little bumpy after all. But they’d get a hang of it soon enough and be climbing on seats and staring out the window at the black rushing by and jumping over the gap in the platform like they were playing hopscotch. They’d probably balance better than me on those trains. Something to do with that low center of gravity they have, I’m sure.

Yes I think of my nephews and nieces as I walk through the city. All the people they would see and the shop windows they would look into. The trees with all their falling leaves and parks with kids-only playgrounds. I’ve never gone into one of those child-dreamlands but if my nephews and nieces were here, I could take them in every day and watch them play and push them on the swings and maybe race them down the slides.

And the dogs, yes the dogs! I think they would love the city dogs. So many breeds and so many doggie outfits! They would get a kick out of the puppy snow-shoes in the winter.

I could take them to Times Square – and hold them close – but let them see the bright lights and maybe run up and down the big red stairs. At Macy’s they can see the holiday window displays and the giant stuffed animals on the kid’s floor. I can take them to the zoo where they can go into the butterfly world or explore the snake exhibit that I know the boys would love. Or to Coney Island and the aquarium where maybe the big kids can ride the best roller coaster ever with me.

They would love the history museum and the giant blue whale suspended above their heads. And I could show them all the animals of Africa and the constellations of the sky. They might be a bit young for the art museums, but maybe MOMA where interactive displays can pique their curiosity. And certainly to the park, where they can run and jump and play and we can all take a boat ride on the lake, as long as no one falls in!

And the sounds, I think they’d love the sounds. The honking cabs and always jabbering people. The concerts in the parks or squares and, of course, the musicians on the trains and platforms! I can even see them wanting to bring their caja on the train to play for people themselves! They can be as loud as they want in the city, because it’s the city and there are 8 million other people making sound too.

I know the city is big and can be a bit scary. There are a lot of people and a lot of cars and I guess the doggies aren’t always nice. But when I walk through the city, I find myself seeing it through my nephews and nieces eyes and the city takes on this dreamy glow. A place of adventure and discovery. I think they’d like it here. And I’d always hold them close.

No comments: